HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Thursday, February 19, 2015

French Farmhouse Cabinet

I don't normally do large pieces of furniture but lately I have been finding some great pieces like the two vintage bedroom sets I found and painted aqua.  When I found this beauty, she was washed with stark white paint.  Her leg was broken and she had been left out in the elements which split and cracked her counter top.
The first thing she needed was a good furniture surgeon to mend her broken leg.  That would be my husband.  He did a wonderful job and you can't even tell.  She's as good as new.  Her counter top got a good sanding and so did the rest of her.  I painted her Old White, except the counter top.  That got a coat of primer gray automotive paint and then that was rubbed down with gesso.  I wanted her counter to mimic an old worn metal top.  She got some pretty French drawer pulls to glam her up a bit.  Her white coat was glazed with some diluted Minwax stain to give her some nice aged patina.
On the lower doors I reverse mod podged a toile image.
I used a small corner stencil in each of the corners of the shelves and then used Frog Tape to join the corners and box the back section of each shelf.  
Once that was done, I used some of my French stencils which I always mix and match to get the desired wording that I need to use.
By mixing up the stencils, you can get something really original and it adds charm to an old piece of furniture.
This would be a fantastic cabinet in a bake shop.  Don't you think?
I'm thrilled with the way she turned out.  I'm using her for display in my space at Aubergine Emporium, but she is for sale too!
Thanks for your visit.

I may be partying at...

Mondays           Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday

Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style   Ivy and Elephants
                         My Salvaged Treasures
                                           

Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors
           

12 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a gorgeous piece, Maggie! Yes, it would look great in a bake shop or - just throwing this out there - my dining room! : ) You and your hubby did a great job on fixing this beauty up.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

You have made it so welcoming. It would be wonderful in a bakery. Love the way you finished everything and the blue does make it look like meta.
Joy

Donna said...

What a gorgeous piece, Maggie! Your stenciling and the toile design on the doors takes it from drab to tres magnifique! It will find a new home soon I bet!!

The Speckled Hen Cottage said...

Absolutely fantastic! Hope you didn't get it too comfy in your space...I'm sure this little beauty is going to fly right out the door. Best~~~Mickie.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

this cabinet is so lovely. I can't take my eyes off it.

DD's Cottage said...

Your piece turned out beautiful and I agree it would be great in a bakery!

sandys7118 said...

GORGEOUS piece! Love the stenciled "boxes" with the French topography! Yes, this would look great in a bakery, but I sure could see it in my dining room! Who ever buys this is getting a stunning piece!

Marie-Interior Frugalista said...

What a stunning piece Maggie. It would look fabulous in a bakery or a country kitchen. It caught my eye over at the Vintage Inspiration Party.
Marie@The Interior Frugalista

Unknown said...

This is beyond fabulous Maggie !!!
I love every single thing about it - the details are amazing ( I do that trick with the corner stencils and joining the lines too )
The wording is perfect too - really this is gorgeous !
xoxo

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

She'd be fabulous anywhere, I doubt she'll last long in your space. The stencils are perfect! Great job. Thanks so much for sharing her at Vintage Inspiration Party.

Botanic Bleu said...

Maggie,
You did a fabulous job rejuvenating the French cabinet. It is an ideal size for using anyplace in a dining room, kitchen, shop....

Judith

Maria said...

Love your blog, love if you share this pretty post
http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/fabulous-friday-party-25/